Covington County is Advantageous for Industry
Thanks to an abundant skilled workforce, best-in-class cooperative training and an extremely business-friendly economic climate, Alabama has grown to become a leading center globally for automotive production. Assembly plants operated by Mercedes, Honda, and Hyundai have propelled Alabama to a Top 5 ranking in the U.S. for the production of cars and light trucks. These Alabama automakers have a combined capacity topping 1.3 million cars and light trucks each year. Additionally, there is an engine assembly plant for Toyota, and a growing automotive supplier network serving OEMs in Alabama and neighboring states.
- Annual production capacity topping 1.3 million cars and light trucks
- Around 40,000 automotive manufacturing jobs
- More than 150 Tier 1 and 2 automotive suppliers in the state
- Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai produce over 1.5 million automotive engines annually
- Exports of Alabama-made vehicles and parts exceeded $8.5 billion in 2021
- Alabama produces 15 different passenger vehicle models
- Transportation equipment is Alabama’s No. 1 export category
- Alabama is the No. 4 auto exporting state
Covington County’s proximity to auto manufacturing plants throughout Alabama also makes it an ideal location for auto parts manufacturers such as SaeHaeSung, which produces automotive parts for Hyundai and Kia.
Find a list of auto assembly plants and their suppliers at Made in America.
Category: Target Industries
More Target Industries